But why is this construction being carried out and how long will it last?
There are several contracts and they are far from being completed, with construction expected to last “over the next few years,” the Ministry of Transportation told WON.com in response ton questions about the work.
Here’s the rundown:
· The first contract was for reconstruction of the westbound lanes from Essex Road 42 to Merlin Road. The majority of the construction work took place in 2015, with completion in spring 2016.
· The second contract, to reconstruct the westbound lanes of Highway 401 from Merlin Road to Bloomfield Road and eastbound lanes between Essex Road 42 and Drake Road, began in 2016. The westbound lanes were completed last year and the eastbound lanes are under construction this year. This contract is expected to be completed in spring 2018.
· The Highway 401/ Highway 40 interchange reconstruction began in spring 2016, and is targeted for completion in summer 2018. The Highway 40 bridge is expected to reopen on time in November, 2017. This project also includes reconstructing approximately 9 km of Highway 401 eastbound lanes from Bloomfield Road to Mull Road, and the realignment of Pinehurst Line.
What’s the nature of the work?
The reconstruction of the Highway 401/40 interchange in Chatham-Kent is required to support the long-term transportation needs at the junction of these two highways. The work will enhance safety, accommodate Long Combination vehicles, and improve access to the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. The project includes full reconstruction of the Highway 401/40 interchange, including replacing bridges over Highway 401, Lucas Drain, and McGregor Creek. Pinehurst Line, a municipal road, was realigned and 9km of the eastbound lanes of Highway 401 from Charing Cross Road to Mull Road is also being reconstructed.
The reconstruction of Highway 401 between Essex Road 42 and Bloomfield Road includes full pavement reconstruction of the westbound lanes from Bloomfield Road to Merlin Road and eastbound lanes Essex Road 42 to Drake Road.
What is cost and contractor?
Highway 401/40 interchange reconstruction:
· The project value is $62 million, and the contractor is Coco Paving.
Highway 401 between Essex Road 42 and Bloomfield Road
· The project value is $72 million, and the contractor is Coco Paving.
Will there be more such construction in C-K and if so for how long?
Continuing along Highway 401 through Chatham-Kent, the ministry will be reconstructing the eastbound lanes of Highway 401 for approximately 24 km, from 0.13 km east of Drake Road easterly to 1.4 km east of Charing Cross Road (13 km), and from 2.0 km west of Mull Road to 1.4 km west of Victoria Road (11 km). The work will also include:
· The replacement of one (1) structural culvert;
· The rehabilitation of eight (8) structures and thirteen (13) structural culverts;
· Drainage improvements including the replacement of non-structural culverts, sewers, and ditching;
· Installation of new ramp terminal intersection illumination at Kent Bridge Rd. interchange;
The project is expected to begin in 2018 and finish in 2020